FAQs

Frequently asked questions

• What are the opening times?
  • How many books can I take out at one time, and for how long?
  • Does it cost anything to borrow items from the library? 
  • Where do I collect discs for CDs and DVDs?
  • Can I still borrow a book if I forget my library card?
  • Can I request a book if the library doesn’t stock it?
  • Where do I collect reserved books?
  • What happens if my book is overdue? 
  • How does the book cataloguing system work?
  • What is the Norfolk Heritage centre?
  • How do you log into the computers in the library?
  • Is there internet in the library?
    Can I study in the library?

What are the opening times?
For opening times of individual libraries, please follow this link.

How many books can I take out at once, and for how long?
You can take out up to 15 books at a time for a period of 3 weeks, you can renew these books a total of three times before you must return them.

Does it cost anything to borrow items from the library? 
Borrowing books is free!

There is a reasonable charge for borrowing DVDs, Games and music, as detailed below:

• DVDs
    Feature films are available to borrow from day of release at a cost of £2.10 for a two night loan.
    TV series, world cinema titles, documentaries, music DVDs and new titles to DVD are available for £2.10 for a seven night loan period.
    DVD box sets – catch up on the latest season of your favourite shows available for two weeks with a hire charge of £4.20.
    Blu-ray loan service and charges are £3 for 2-day loans of Top Titles and £3 for 1-week loans.
  • Games
    Choose from a wide selection of console games including Nintendo Wii & DS, X-Box 360 & and PlayStation 3.
    All games are available from day of release and cost £3.20 for a one week loan.
  • Music
    Music CDs cost of 80p for a one-week loan, or £1.10 for a double CD.
    CDs are available from day of release.

Where do I collect discs for CDs and DVDs?
Once you have borrowed your CD/DVD using the self service machines, take your empty box and receipt to the main desk, where a member of staff will give you your disc.

Can I still borrow a book if I forget my library card?
Usually we ask for ID if you do not have your library card with you. However, if you’re under 16, you might find that library staff allow you to borrow (as under 16s often don’t carry forms of ID yet!).

Can I request a book if the library doesn’t stock it?
If you are unable to find the item you are looking for in our catalogue, you can place a request for an Interlibrary Loan (ILL), e.g. from another academic or public library or the British Library. Charges apply to these requests. You can also place a request for purchase which has no charges associated.

To place an Interlibrary Loan request or a request for purchase:

• Use this link to find the Book Request Form.
  • If you are not currently logged on you will need to enter your borrower number and PIN, then select the OK
  • You will see request form. Please enter as much information as you can about the item you require. You must enter the title of the item.
  • Please be aware that this process can take a couple of weeks. If you need the book by a particular date, please note this in the ‘Any other information’ box and we will do our best.
  • The charge for ordering a book from another library service is £7.00 and you must either select yes or no to let us know whether you are happy to do this if the book buying team do not wish to purchase a copy.
  • Select the library where you would like to pickup the item and then select the place request button to go ahead with your order. You will see your request record including the request number.

We will let you know when your item is ready to be picked up. You can also track the progress of your request or cancel your request by using My Library. Please go to  the section on cancelling reservations, bookings and requests in the Using My Library help page for details.

Where do I collect reserved books?
When your book has arrived, you will be notified and invited to come and collect your book from the reservations shelves. If you do not know where these shelves are located in your library, please just ask one of our friendly staff. The books are shelved according to the surname of the person who has made the reservation. Eg, if your surname is Smith, you should look in the ‘S’ section to find your book.

What happens if my book is overdue?
When you join up, you will have the option of providing us with your email and joining our text alert service. This way, we can notify you before your loans become overdue and help you avoid any charges. If you fail to return your items on time, you will be asked to pay upon your next visit to your library – don’t worry, the charges are reasonable. For details of all charges, please click here.
If for any reason you are having trouble returning something – please let us know. Talk to your local librarian, phone or email us.

How does the book cataloguing system work?
Our fiction sections are often (but not always) in alphabetical order by the author’s surname. An example of our books not being in alphabetical order is at the Millennium Library – most of the books on the ground floor Express Library are not ordered, as they are displayed thematically for people who are popping in for a quick browse. However, the main fiction section up on the 1st floor is in alphabetical order.
Non-fiction in Norfolk libraries is ordered using the Dewey Decimal System. This system assigns each subject a ‘class number’. There are ten class numbers and each has 100 numbers. To learn more, please follow this link.

What is the Norfolk Heritage centre?
Norfolk Heritage Library is located on the second floor of the Norwich Millennium Library. Please click here to learn all you need to know about this fascinating service, including opening times.

How do you log into the computers in the library?
When you come to log in to the library computers, please have your library card with you. To login:
Open the My Library menu in the Navigation panel and select Login. You can also login from the Home Page, from the top navigation bar and from the Quicklinks panel.
Enter your borrower ID (which is the barcode from your library card) and your PIN.
Click the Login button.

Is there internet in the library?

Yes, all our libraries have internet. You can log on using one of our computers or if you’d prefer, you can bring your own laptop/tablet etc. and log on using our Wi-Fi service- computer and internet access is free!

Can I study in the Library?
Yes, absolutely, we have lots of nooks and crannies that are perfect for quiet study, and a wealth of books to help you in every area of your research. Norfolk Library and Information Service also provides access to a range of online services, all available free of charge. Some are accessible in your local library only, some are also available from home or any internet computer when you log in with your library card. We’ve paid for them so you don’t have to.